Friday 2 March 2012

The Stranglers in Leeds

As I'll probably be missing the Stranglers Manchester gig, I travelled to Leeds to see the first gig on their tour. I'm happy to report that Jet didn't do a Davey Jones and kept a perfect beat in a stunning set that opened with Burning Up Time, The Raven and Sometimes. Dave botched up the start of Sometimes and they had to restart it which got a big chuckle from JJ. The nicest surprise was a venomous rendition of Rise of the Robots and even more surprisingly they resurrected Shut Up! I think I enjoyed Tank in the encore most, and the last song in the set Time To Die was a twangy exit. They also played Hanging Around, Duchess, Walk On By, Peaches, No More Heroes, Strange Little Girl and of course Golden Brown. A ticket on the door was two quid less than the internet rip off price and a couple of fans in the queue told me net fleecers had charged over thirty quid for their tickets! The new songs sounded like their best since Hugh was the singer and I'd go see them again if all the gigs didn't clash with the rapturous
KILLING JOKe
whose new song RAPTURE I am listening to relentlessly now on youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment