Monday 31 March 2014

Caty Pepper March tape

This month I listened to quite a many new/old LPs and CDs thanks to my friend Caty Flynn and her enthusiasm for the Beatles. In an odd synchronicity as I was typing this I was listening to Late Junction on Radio 3 and Fiona Talkington played Cathy Berberian's 1967 cover of the Beatles "Girl," witch she recorded singing along to her daughter's Beatles records. I made Caty a tape of Beatles covers by bands such as Shockabilly, Husker Du, Pixies, The Damned, etc. She was very pleased with it to say the least but I was aware that I hadn't included the brilliant cover of "A Day in the Life" by The Fall so I had to find it and make another tape. After a couple of days I found the compilation it closes "Sergeant Pepper Knew My Father" in my bedroom and stuffed next to it was an envelope. In the envelope was £180 . I suspect I hid it away when I thought the banks were going to collapse five years ago. This meant I had a bit of extra unexpected money to spend in Piccadilly Records vinyl sale and Notting Hill Exchange the day after I saw Thalia Zedek Band play Upstairs at the Garage, Islington. The moral of this story is: I get by making tapes for my friends, I'm gonna try to make more tapes for my friends.

Also thanks to Nick Mitchell for pointing out the Cheater Slicks LP and for help the day after some fool tried to kick in the door of my flat after pretending to be the police and demanding a £30 bribe.

Thanks to Danny Saul for the Francis Dhomont recommendations. I prefer your second choice!

So here is a fascinating list of all the new CDs and LPs I bought in March that were released last year or before that I had never heard before.

1-2.3 from MANTIS electroacoustic weekend:
Trevor Wishart - Encounters in the Republic of Heaven CDR & book (2010)
Francis Dhomont - Sans le regard d'un Soleil Noir (1979-81)
Francis Dhomont - ...et Autre Utopies (2006 / 1989-2005)

3.3 from Piccadilly Records sale
Giant Sand - Valley of Rain LP
Cheater Slicks - Reality is a Grape LP (2012)
James Blackshaw - Holly 12" EP
Oren Ambarchi & Robin Fox - Connected LP (2012)
Daniel Higgs - Say God 2LP (2010)

3.3 from Vinyl Exchange
Thela - Argentina (1996)
Guided By Voices - Teenage FBI / Fly into Ashes / Tropical Robots (1999)

8.3 from Hilary Cowtown when Cowtown played the Klondyke
Cowtown - Excellent Domestic Short Hair (2010) signed by Hilary and Jon

13.3 from Notting Hill Exchange
Glacial - On Jones Beach LP
Rhys Chatham - Harmonie du Soir (2012)
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - White Lunar (2009)
Emily Jane White - Blood/Lines (2013) £1
Ministry - Houses of the Mole (2004) £3
Cold Specks - I Predict a Graceful Expulsion (2012) £1
The Dauntless Elite Graft (2007) 50p
Arab Strap - The Week Never Starts Around Here £1
Henry Rollins - excerpts from Get In the Van 50p
Music for a Revolution compilation £1
Plus cheap CDs I'd already heard by Wire, the Stranglers, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Costello, REM, Sebadoh, Neil Young and Urge Overkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment